experchange > freebsd

Louis Epstein (02-09-20, 08:23 PM)
I have lately had a problem with launching X...the system hangs at startx
and if I switch to another terminal session and back an error message appears
ending

/usr/local/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/radeon.drv.so: Undefined symbol "exaGetPixmapDriverPrivate"
xinit: giving up
xinit: unable to connect to X server: Connection refused
xinit: server error

I am told that this bug has been reported for Debian as related to an upgrade of
xserver-xorg-video-radeon-1%3a19.0.1-1_ppc64.deb to
xserver-xorg-video-radeon-1%3a19.1.0-1_ppc64.deb

but of course FreeBSD versions have different names.

What's the fix prognosis?

-=-=-
The World Trade Center towers MUST rise again,
at least as tall as before...or terror has triumphed.
Louis Epstein (02-15-20, 06:40 PM)
Louis Epstein <le> wrote:
[..]
> xserver-xorg-video-radeon-1%3a19.1.0-1_ppc64.deb
> but of course FreeBSD versions have different names.
> What's the fix prognosis?


I have continued to upgrade ports and this has not been fixed.
Louis Epstein (02-21-20, 02:07 AM)
Louis Epstein <le> wrote:
> Louis Epstein <le> wrote:
> I have continued to upgrade ports and this has not been fixed.


Today new port upgrades to xorg-server arrived and I built & installed...
and not only does X still not launch but now it won't read the keyboard
when it hangs and I have to restart the computer.

/usr/ports/UPDATING reports changes in xorg-server and I went along with
the configuration change to udev after the first failure but that made no
difference.

xorg-drivers did not build with synth after the tseng driver failed;
I reinstalled the FreeBSD-repository package.
Louis Epstein (02-26-20, 04:14 AM)
Louis Epstein <le> wrote:
> Louis Epstein <le> wrote:
> Today new port upgrades to xorg-server arrived and I built & installed...
> and not only does X still not launch but now it won't read the keyboard
> when it hangs and I have to restart the computer.


Once more...today's upgrade offered a config option to enable a
workaround for problems with DRM...

> /usr/ports/UPDATING reports changes in xorg-server and I went along with
> the configuration change to udev after the first failure but that made no
> difference.


....and I added xf86-input-libinput following the advice of UPDATING...

....but still,a "startx" causes a hang that won't read the keyboard.

> xorg-drivers did not build with synth after the tseng driver failed;
> I reinstalled the FreeBSD-repository package.


The -tseng driver is now marked as BROKEN and gets automatically
ignored,which forces synth to skip xorg-drivers AND xorg.
Per Hedeland (02-27-20, 10:31 PM)
In article <r34kav$p0v$1> Louis Epstein
<le> writes:
> Louis Epstein <le> wrote:
> message appears
> "exaGetPixmapDriverPrivate"
> an upgrade of
> Once more...today's upgrade offered a config option to enable a
> workaround for problems with DRM...
> ...and I added xf86-input-libinput following the advice of UPDATING...
> ...but still,a "startx" causes a hang that won't read the keyboard.
> The -tseng driver is now marked as BROKEN and gets automatically
> ignored,which forces synth to skip xorg-drivers AND xorg.


I don't know if it will solve your problems, but one of the developers
created a great script to check all the issues that may cause problems
with the new xorg-server - see:


I had problems somewhat similar to yours, specifically that X ignored
*all* input (keyboard, mouse, touchpad) - and after fixing all the
issues that the script reported, X was working again.

--Per Hedeland
Winston (02-28-20, 08:58 AM)
Louis Epstein <le> writes:
> ... not only does X still not launch but now it won't read the
> keyboard when it hangs and I have to restart the computer.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Maybe not... Ctrl+Alt+F1 should still get you back to virtual
terminal 1 (which is typically the terminal from which you ran
startx).
-WBE
Louis Epstein (03-01-20, 02:35 AM)
Winston <wbe> wrote:
> Louis Epstein <le> writes:
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> Maybe not... Ctrl+Alt+F1 should still get you back to virtual
> terminal 1 (which is typically the terminal from which you ran
> startx).
> -WBE


I have been testing X on the third terminal session (i.e. Ctrl Alt F3)
with xinit openttd (launching a game only if it works correctly)
and the second (Ctrl Alt F2) with startx (launching a window manager
if it works correctly) while reserving the Ctrl Alt F1 session for
a root login that does CLI administrative tasks.
When X hangs I find the Ctrl-Alt commands don't switch sessions now;
formerly they did and I could return to the aborted session and
see the error message described earlier.

-=-=-
The World Trade Center towers MUST rise again,
at least as tall as before...or terror has triumphed.
Louis Epstein (03-01-20, 02:54 AM)
Per Hedeland <per> wrote:
> In article <r34kav$p0v> Louis Epstein
> <le> writes:
> I don't know if it will solve your problems, but one of the developers
> created a great script to check all the issues that may cause problems
> with the new xorg-server - see:
>
> I had problems somewhat similar to yours, specifically that X ignored
> *all* input (keyboard, mouse, touchpad) - and after fixing all the
> issues that the script reported, X was working again.
> --Per Hedeland


Hmm...I got that to run and it says to recompile the kernel with evdev
support.
I am running 11.3-RELEASE-p6 so will this be patched?

-=-=-
The World Trade Center towers MUST rise again,
at least as tall as before...or terror has triumphed.
Per Hedeland (03-01-20, 04:12 PM)
In article <r3f13o$bsn$1> Louis Epstein
<le> writes:
> Per Hedeland <per> wrote:
> Hmm...I got that to run and it says to recompile the kernel with evdev
> support.
> I am running 11.3-RELEASE-p6 so will this be patched?


Aha, well the script is targeted to help getting the new version of
xorg-server to work with the UDEV option, which requires a kernel
built with evdev support. I was running 12.1-RELEASE, where the kernel
is built with evdev support by default, so it was no issue for me - I
don't know about the state with 11.x kernels, whether they actually
*can* be built with evdev support, and if so whether it's worth
pursuing that.

The xorg-server port can be built with either UDEV or the
"traditional" DEVD (which *doesn't* require evdev support in the
kernel) - on FreebSD 12.x the default is UDEV, but it seems from the
Makefile that the FreeBSD 11.x default is DEVD:

OPTIONS_DEFAULT_FreeBSD_11= DEVD
OPTIONS_DEFAULT_FreeBSD_12= UDEV
OPTIONS_DEFAULT_FreeBSD_13= UDEV

If your xorg-server was built with DEVD, and you *don't* have evdev
support in the kernel, you *should* be "all set" in this respect, and
the script is basically irrelevant unless you specifically *want* to
change to UDEV/evdev. In any case, the script doesn't actually *do*
anything other than make suggestions (which is a feature IMO).

--Per
Louis Epstein (03-01-20, 04:58 PM)
Per Hedeland <per> wrote:
[..]
> change to UDEV/evdev. In any case, the script doesn't actually *do*
> anything other than make suggestions (which is a feature IMO).
> --Per


OK...so if I revert the config change on xorg-server X will work again
even though it wasn't working before?

-=-=-
The World Trade Center towers MUST rise again,
at least as tall as before...or terror has triumphed.
Per Hedeland (03-01-20, 05:27 PM)
In article <r3gii6$e4d$1> Louis Epstein
<le> writes:
> Per Hedeland <per> wrote:
> hangs at startx
> installed...
> that made no
> OK...so if I revert the config change on xorg-server X will work again
> even though it wasn't working before?


Oh, I certainly can't promise that!:-) Your problem was clearly not
the same as mine, and as far as I understand, your xorg-server should
already be built with DEVD (unless you explicitly chose UDEV when
building). But of course it doesn't hurt to rebuild it, making sure
that it is configured for DEVD. That *should* work with a kernel
without evdev, but of course there can be *other* problems...

--Per
Louis Epstein (03-02-20, 07:41 PM)
Per Hedeland <per> wrote:
> In article <r3gii6$e4d> Louis Epstein
> <le> writes:
> Oh, I certainly can't promise that!:-) Your problem was clearly not
> the same as mine, and as far as I understand, your xorg-server should
> already be built with DEVD (unless you explicitly chose UDEV when
> building). But of course it doesn't hurt to rebuild it, making sure
> that it is configured for DEVD. That *should* work with a kernel
> without evdev, but of course there can be *other* problems...
> --Per


I reinstalled to reinstate the DEVD configuration and it helped nothing
at all...still won't even read the keyboard once the abortive xinit
is entered.

-=-=-
The World Trade Center towers MUST rise again,
at least as tall as before...or terror has triumphed.
Louis Epstein (03-02-20, 11:40 PM)
Louis Epstein <le> wrote:
> Louis Epstein <le> wrote:
> Once more...today's upgrade offered a config option to enable a
> workaround for problems with DRM...
> ...and I added xf86-input-libinput following the advice of UPDATING...
> ...but still,a "startx" causes a hang that won't read the keyboard.
> The -tseng driver is now marked as BROKEN and gets automatically
> ignored,which forces synth to skip xorg-drivers AND xorg.


I've now done a pkg delete xf86-video-tseng
and synth STILL starts a prepare-system run with
ignoring that one and skipping xorg-drivers and xorg.
Winston (03-03-20, 02:20 AM)
Louis Epstein <le> writes:
> Louis Epstein <le> wrote:


>>>>> /usr/local/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/radeon.drv.so: Undefined symbol "exaGetPixmapDriverPrivate"
>>>>> xinit: giving up
>>>>> xinit: unable to connect to X server: Connection refused
>>>>> xinit: server error


>>>>> I am told that this bug has been reported for Debian as related to an upgrade of
>>>>> xserver-xorg-video-radeon-1%3a19.0.1-1_ppc64.deb to
>>>>> xserver-xorg-video-radeon-1%3a19.1.0-1_ppc64.deb


>>>>> but of course FreeBSD versions have different names.


>>>>> What's the fix prognosis?


>>>> I have continued to upgrade ports and this has not been fixed.


>>> Today new port upgrades to xorg-server arrived and I built & installed...
>>> and not only does X still not launch but now it won't read the keyboard
>>> when it hangs and I have to restart the computer.


>> Once more...today's upgrade offered a config option to enable a
>> workaround for problems with DRM...


>>> /usr/ports/UPDATING reports changes in xorg-server and I went along with
>>> the configuration change to udev after the first failure but that made no
>>> difference.


>> ...and I added xf86-input-libinput following the advice of UPDATING...


>> ...but still,a "startx" causes a hang that won't read the keyboard.


>>> xorg-drivers did not build with synth after the tseng driver failed;
>>> I reinstalled the FreeBSD-repository package.


>> The -tseng driver is now marked as BROKEN and gets automatically
>> ignored,which forces synth to skip xorg-drivers AND xorg.


> I've now done a pkg delete xf86-video-tseng
> and synth STILL starts a prepare-system run with
> ignoring that one and skipping xorg-drivers and xorg.


If having X run at all would be useful while you're waiting for a
solution to the Radeon driver problem, maybe change your xorg.conf
Section "Device"
to Driver "vesa"
instead of using the Radeon driver?
-WBE
Per Hedeland (03-03-20, 11:25 AM)
In article <r3jgfm$9j6$1> Louis Epstein <le> writes:
> Per Hedeland <per> wrote:
> the keyboard
> along with
>
> I reinstalled to reinstate the DEVD configuration and it helped nothing
> at all...still won't even read the keyboard once the abortive xinit
> is entered.


Sorry, I'm out of ideas in that case - and I have no experience in
running the new xorg-server on FreeBSD 11.x. Maybe you should open a
PR if you haven't already.

--Per

Similar Threads