experchange > mac.portables

Ant (04-02-19, 08:05 PM)
Hello.

Over 30 minutes ago, my client and I were unable to boot up a 15" 2008
MacBook Pro, with Mac OS X El Capitan v10.11.6, after it was accidently
powered off from its physical move between tables with its power cable
connected (still have its original battery inside). We tried unplugging
everything (USB mouse and printer) and letting it cool down (was pretty
warm in high 60F degrees kitchen). The only thing that still works is
its MagSafe's light (green). I didn't smell anything burning either.

Is this over decade old machine finally dead? :(
Alan Baker (04-02-19, 08:12 PM)
On 2019-04-02 11:05 a.m., Ant wrote:
> Hello.
> Over 30 minutes ago, my client and I were unable to boot up a 15" 2008
> MacBook Pro, with Mac OS X El Capitan v10.11.6, after it was accidently
> powered off from its physical move between tables with its power cable
> connected (still have its original battery inside). We tried unplugging
> everything (USB mouse and printer) and letting it cool down (was pretty
> warm in high 60F degrees kitchen). The only thing that still works is
> its MagSafe's light (green). I didn't smell anything burning either.
> Is this over decade old machine finally dead? :(


So I'm assuming you get no startup chime, no indication at all that the
machine is trying to start?

<https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT201295>
Ant (04-02-19, 08:23 PM)
In comp.sys.mac.portables Alan Baker <nunya> wrote:
> On 2019-04-02 11:05 a.m., Ant wrote:


> So I'm assuming you get no startup chime, no indication at all that the
> machine is trying to start?


Woah. Quick answer already. Thanks. "Yes, you are correct sir." --Ed
McMann. NOTHING. I don't even hear its HDD.

> <https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT201295>


It mentioned to remove its battery. I decided to try powering it on
without it. It worked! Hmm, I guess I can get recycle this battery
finally since this very old and slow machine is rarely used. I wonder if
it new battery replacements are very cheap and even worth it even if it
is rarely used (always connected to power AC on a desk).
YK (04-03-19, 01:29 AM)
On 4/2/19 2:23 PM, Ant wrote:
> In comp.sys.mac.portables Alan Baker <nunya> wrote:
> Woah. Quick answer already. Thanks. "Yes, you are correct sir." --Ed
> McMann. NOTHING. I don't even hear its HDD.
> It mentioned to remove its battery. I decided to try powering it on
> without it. It worked! Hmm, I guess I can get recycle this battery
> finally since this very old and slow machine is rarely used. I wonder if
> it new battery replacements are very cheap and even worth it even if it
> is rarely used (always connected to power AC on a desk).


Have you tried resetting the SMC?
Alan Baker (04-03-19, 01:31 AM)
On 2019-04-02 4:29 p.m., YK wrote:
> On 4/2/19 2:23 PM, Ant wrote:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

>> It mentioned to remove its battery. I decided to try powering it on
>> without it. It worked! Hmm, I guess I can get recycle this battery
>> finally since this very old and slow machine is rarely used. I wonder if
>> it new battery replacements are very cheap and even worth it even if it
>> is rarely used (always connected to power AC on a desk).

> Have you tried resetting the SMC? 


Have you tried reading what was already in the post to which you were
replying?

:-)
ErikRS (04-04-19, 09:10 PM)
Ant wrote:
> In comp.sys.mac.portables Alan Baker <nunya> wrote:
> It mentioned to remove its battery. I decided to try powering it on
> without it. It worked! Hmm, I guess I can get recycle this battery
> finally since this very old and slow machine is rarely used. I wonder if
> it new battery replacements are very cheap and even worth it even if it
> is rarely used (always connected to power AC on a desk).


I had a similar problem with the 15" MBP Late07. Sometimes it chimed and
then just 'died', sometimes nothing when pressing the start button. So
my guess is that the controlling chip on the orig. battery has died.
When/if this happens, the MBP won't boot - no chime, nothing... - As you
already have found out removing the battery partially solves the problem
booting the MBP.

So I'll recommend to buy a new battery for it. I found some quite good
and affordable batteries in a UK based webstore with even higher
capacity than the original. Price was only apprx. 16 + shipping to
Denmark. I bought 2 pcs. apprx. 43 incl. FirstClass Royal Mail. - This
is less than half of what *1* orig. battery will cost!

A full charge lasts apprx. 5,5 hours which is fairly good for the Late07
and the 2008 models.

Find the battery model number and just search on eBay.com, and I think
you can get these 3.-party batteries just as cheap in the US.

Cheers, Erik Richard
Wade Garrett (04-05-19, 12:22 AM)
On 4/4/19 3:10 PM, ErikRS wrote:
[..]
> Find the battery model number and just search on eBay.com, and I think
> you can get these 3.-party batteries just as cheap in the US.
> Cheers, Erik Richard

Have never purchased a laptop battery but several years back, I needed a
few extra specialty batteries for Canon digital SLR cameras in the US.

The Canon brand batteries were quite expensive so I ordered some third
party ones from a couple of highly rated Ebay sellers. That was a
mistake- three to four day self-discharge, limited number of pictures
using them in the cameras and they got pretty hot when charging.

Not sure it things are any better these days- or if I just picked bad
vendors back then- or if laptop batteries are a different story than
camera batteries.
Alan Browne (04-05-19, 12:36 AM)
On 2019-04-04 18:22, Wade Garrett wrote:

> The Canon brand batteries were quite expensive so I ordered some third
> party ones from a couple of highly rated Ebay sellers. That was a
> mistake- three to four day self-discharge, limited number of pictures
> using them in the cameras and they got pretty hot when charging.
> Not sure it things are any better these days- or if I just picked bad
> vendors back then- or if laptop batteries are a different story than
> camera batteries.


You picked a bad vendor. I've bought several DSLR batts w/o issue. One
of them was far better than OEM in terms of capacity (and performed to
that spec too...)
Ant (04-05-19, 05:32 AM)
In comp.sys.mac.portables ErikRS <mac-dane> wrote:

> Ant wrote:


> I had a similar problem with the 15" MBP Late07. Sometimes it chimed and
> then just 'died', sometimes nothing when pressing the start button. So
> my guess is that the controlling chip on the orig. battery has died.
> When/if this happens, the MBP won't boot - no chime, nothing... - As you
> already have found out removing the battery partially solves the problem
> booting the MBP.


> So I'll recommend to buy a new battery for it. I found some quite good
> and affordable batteries in a UK based webstore with even higher
> capacity than the original. Price was only apprx. 16 + shipping to
> Denmark. I bought 2 pcs. apprx. 43 incl. FirstClass Royal Mail. - This
> is less than half of what *1* orig. battery will cost!


> A full charge lasts apprx. 5,5 hours which is fairly good for the Late07
> and the 2008 models.


> Find the battery model number and just search on eBay.com, and I think
> you can get these 3.-party batteries just as cheap in the US.


My client didn't want a new battery since he rarely uses it. It's very
old and slow. We kept its battery slot empty so it can boot up normally.
Lewis (04-05-19, 06:04 AM)
In message <q8602p$78t$1> Wade Garrett <wade> wrote:
> The Canon brand batteries were quite expensive so I ordered some third
> party ones from a couple of highly rated Ebay sellers.


There is no such thing as a reputable eBay seller, and the more highly
rated they are, the more likely it is they are scammers.

There is a reason I and my friends call it "fleabay" because it is about
as reputable as a flea market.
nospam (04-05-19, 02:29 PM)
In article <T_Gdnd9wha3SUTvBnZ2dnUU7-QWdnZ2d>, Ant
<ant> wrote:

> My client didn't want a new battery since he rarely uses it. It's very
> old and slow. We kept its battery slot empty so it can boot up normally.


don't do that. without a battery, it will run significantly slower and
there is also the risk of a sudden shutdown if there's a power glitch.
Jolly Roger (04-05-19, 05:52 PM)
On 2019-04-05, nospam <nospam> wrote:
> In article <T_Gdnd9wha3SUTvBnZ2dnUU7-QWdnZ2d>, Ant
><ant> wrote:
>> My client didn't want a new battery since he rarely uses it. It's very
>> old and slow. We kept its battery slot empty so it can boot up normally.

> don't do that. without a battery, it will run significantly slower and
> there is also the risk of a sudden shutdown if there's a power glitch.


....which can result in volume corruption and data loss.
nospam (04-05-19, 06:40 PM)
In article <ggpbtoFeehvU1>, Jolly Roger
<jollyroger> wrote:

> >> My client didn't want a new battery since he rarely uses it. It's very
> >> old and slow. We kept its battery slot empty so it can boot up normally.

> > don't do that. without a battery, it will run significantly slower and
> > there is also the risk of a sudden shutdown if there's a power glitch.

> ...which can result in volume corruption and data loss.


true, but i've not seen that happen.

the big issue is that it's much slower, roughly half-speed.
David in Devon (04-05-19, 06:49 PM)
On 05/04/2019 17:40, nospam wrote:
> In article <ggpbtoFeehvU1>, Jolly Roger
> <jollyroger> wrote:
> true, but i've not seen that happen.
> the big issue is that it's much slower, roughly half-speed.


Is that the same on non-Apple hardware?

-- D.
nospam (04-05-19, 06:54 PM)
In article <MGLpE.61913$0n2.8673>, David in Devon
<BDonTJ> wrote:

> Is that the same on non-Apple hardware?


depends on the hardware.

Similar Threads