experchange > linux.development.apps

Spam Averse (11-02-03, 06:40 PM)
Are there any x86 debuggers for Linux that are better than gdb/ddd?

I really don't like these and would be willing to pay for someing better.

Thanks.
Tauno Voipio (11-02-03, 09:33 PM)
"Spam Averse" <aahdoot> wrote in message
news:qqbb
> Are there any x86 debuggers for Linux that are better than gdb/ddd?
> I really don't like these and would be willing to pay for someing better.
> Thanks.
> --
> Please respond to the group, not by e-mail.


It would help if you told which ways The Better One would be different from
GDB / DDD.

Did you notice that DDD is not tied to GDB - it's able to front-end other
debuggers also.

Please try the other back-ends and compare to GDB to split the improvement
requests between the front-end (DDD) and back-end (GDB).

Tauno Voipio
tauno voipio @ iki fi
Paul Pluzhnikov (11-03-03, 02:47 AM)
Spam Averse <aahdoot> writes:

> Are there any x86 debuggers for Linux that are better than gdb/ddd?


TotalView from Etnus () is the only other debugger
for Linux/x86 I know about. Whether it is better I do not know.

Cheers,
Alastair (11-05-03, 01:34 AM)
Tauno Voipio <tauno.voipio> wrote:
> "Spam Averse" <aahdoot> wrote in message
> news:qqbb
> It would help if you told which ways The Better One would be different from
> GDB / DDD.


GDB is a fine debugger and I am full of praise for all the people
responsible. Truely amazing work. Unfortunately, it's really the only
debugger around for Linux (Totalview is OK, but has problems too). The
main problem I (we) have with GDB is it doesn't work well with C++,
particularly namespaces. I hate to say it, but DDD, although good, is
no match for something like MSDEV's debugger - in fact, its a real
drawback in trying to get the NT developer using Linux ...

Cheers,
Joe Pfeiffer (11-05-03, 02:27 AM)
Alastair <alastair> writes:

> Tauno Voipio <tauno.voipio> wrote:
> GDB is a fine debugger and I am full of praise for all the people
> responsible. Truely amazing work. Unfortunately, it's really the only
> debugger around for Linux (Totalview is OK, but has problems too). The
> main problem I (we) have with GDB is it doesn't work well with C++,
> particularly namespaces. I hate to say it, but DDD, although good, is
> no match for something like MSDEV's debugger - in fact, its a real
> drawback in trying to get the NT developer using Linux ...


What problems does gdb have with namespaces? It seems to work fine
for me.
James Cownie (11-05-03, 11:20 AM)
Joe Pfeiffer wrote:
> Alastair <alastair> writes:
> What problems does gdb have with namespaces? It seems to work fine
> for me.


Since GCC 3.x (through 3.3.2) doesn't emit _any_ DWARF debug information
about namespaces; the only comment about namespaces in dwarf2out.c is

/* Ignore namespaces for the moment. */
if (containing_scope && TREE_CODE (containing_scope) == NAMESPACE_DECL)
containing_scope = NULL_TREE;

I'm at a loss to know how _any_ debugger can possibly handle
namespaces properly with the output from that compiler.

If namespaces are being handled properly I guess you must be using
a different compiler.
James Cownie (11-05-03, 11:22 AM)
>>"Spam Averse" <aahdoot> wrote in message
>>news:qqbb
>>>Are there any x86 debuggers for Linux that are better than gdb/ddd?
>>>I really don't like these and would be willing to pay for someing better.
>>>Thanks.


You should certainly try our TotalView debugger.

You can download a copy and a demo license from

(I get paid to code on TotalView, so won't say more).
Thomas Richter (11-05-03, 03:04 PM)
Hi,

> Since GCC 3.x (through 3.3.2) doesn't emit _any_ DWARF debug information
> about namespaces; the only comment about namespaces in dwarf2out.c is


> /* Ignore namespaces for the moment. */
> if (containing_scope && TREE_CODE (containing_scope) == NAMESPACE_DECL)
> containing_scope = NULL_TREE;


> I'm at a loss to know how _any_ debugger can possibly handle
> namespaces properly with the output from that compiler.


> If namespaces are being handled properly I guess you must be using
> a different compiler.


Did you try to contact the gcc folks about this problem? If not, could
you please collect all the necessary details (thus, I can post this
problem to the gcc development people myself in case you don't want to)?

I'm quite anoyed about the lack of namespacing in gdb for quite a while
as I'm writing a lot of C++ code and would like to see it working;
currently, debugging C++ code is quite painful, but I was never aware
where the problem really lies. Aparently, g++ itself is part of the
problem (at least, if I understand your statement correctly).

So long,
Thomas
Thomas Richter (11-05-03, 03:06 PM)
Hi,

> You should certainly try our TotalView debugger.


> You can download a copy and a demo license from


How well does it integrate g++/namespacing into debugging? Given
the claim of the above poster, proper support of namespaces seems
rather impossible given the current g++ architecture, but in case
that's wrong and your debugger does support C++ debugging correctly,
I'd like to try it. I need a *working* debugger for C++, and gdb
is, as stated, not sufficient.

So long,
Thomas
dtopham (10-11-18, 07:45 AM)
I like the data graph of ddd. Very useful to create drawings of data structures.

Is there a way to annotate the connecting arrows? Or add comments to the graph?

I know I could save as ps and use other software, but I mean right in ddd.

Is there another listserve to ask questions like this?
Similar Threads