experchange > freebsd

Louis Epstein (07-08-19, 05:31 PM)
I was greatly disturbed to see the Ports Collection had dropped
my longtime Internet application suite of choice...claiming it was
"Unmaintained upstream"...the Seamonkey Project Blog indicates
there have been problems but fixes ARE on the way.



-=-=-
The World Trade Center towers MUST rise again,
at least as tall as before...or terror has triumphed.
Bob Eager (07-09-19, 10:32 AM)
On Mon, 08 Jul 2019 15:31:13 +0000, Louis Epstein wrote:

> I was greatly disturbed to see the Ports Collection had dropped my
> longtime Internet application suite of choice...claiming it was
> "Unmaintained upstream"...the Seamonkey Project Blog indicates there
> have been problems but fixes ARE on the way.
>


That was five months ago. And it's hardly positive.

Easy solution. When it is ready for prime time, download it and make a
FreeBSD port of it yourself.

(Oh, and please fix your non standard signature separator. It should be
two dashes and a space. It matters.)
Louis Epstein (07-10-19, 08:44 AM)
Bob Eager <news0073> wrote:
> On Mon, 08 Jul 2019 15:31:13 +0000, Louis Epstein wrote:
> That was five months ago. And it's hardly positive.


The entry was five months ago,but the current news is
in the comment dated June 4th.

> Easy solution. When it is ready for prime time, download it and make a
> FreeBSD port of it yourself.


How easy is that?

> (Oh, and please fix your non standard signature separator. It should be
> two dashes and a space. It matters.)


AVOIDING the use of the two dashes and space
that interfere with the ability to comment
on someone's signature matters!

EVERYTHING you post should be open to quote
and response.

-=-=-
The World Trade Center towers MUST rise again,
at least as tall as before...or terror has triumphed.
Bob Eager (07-10-19, 10:22 AM)
On Wed, 10 Jul 2019 06:44:31 +0000, Louis Epstein wrote:

>> Easy solution. When it is ready for prime time, download it and make a
>> FreeBSD port of it yourself.

> How easy is that?


If you're that concerned, you will find out. Hint: there is a Porter's
Handbook.

>> (Oh, and please fix your non standard signature separator. It should be
>> two dashes and a space. It matters.)

> AVOIDING the use of the two dashes and space that interfere with the
> ability to comment on someone's signature matters!


My comment is ... killfile.
Christian Barthel (07-10-19, 09:44 PM)
Bob Eager <news0073> writes:

> On Wed, 10 Jul 2019 06:44:31 +0000, Louis Epstein wrote:
>>> Easy solution. When it is ready for prime time, download it and make a
>>> FreeBSD port of it yourself.

>> How easy is that?

> If you're that concerned, you will find out. Hint: there is a Porter's
> Handbook.


Yes, the Porter's Handbook is a very useful thing to read in that
case. I'd also have a look at the old files [1]. Perhaps, they
are useful as starting point.

[1]
Gerhard Strangar (07-11-19, 05:56 AM)
Christian Barthel wrote:

> Yes, the Porter's Handbook is a very useful thing to read in that
> case. I'd also have a look at the old files [1]. Perhaps, they
> are useful as starting point.


However, the hardest part might not be how to create a new port. There
must be a cause for this drop and that might be the hard part in this
case. I mean, everything for this port existed. Either the build process
broke or maybe the maintainer was fed up with getting bug reports due to
all the vulnerabilities being discovered, but not getting fixed by the
Seamonkey project.
Christian Barthel (07-11-19, 08:25 AM)
Gerhard Strangar <g.s> writes:

> Christian Barthel wrote:
> However, the hardest part might not be how to create a new port. There
> must be a cause for this drop and that might be the hard part in this
> case. I mean, everything for this port existed. Either the build process
> broke or maybe the maintainer was fed up with getting bug reports due to
> all the vulnerabilities being discovered, but not getting fixed by the
> Seamonkey project.


Indeed - that is what the commit message (at removal
time) says [1]:

| www/seamonkey: remove port
|
| Upstream has poor history of delivering security fixes on time.
| 2.49.4 was released almost 1 year ago. While 2.49.5 with 60.2
| backports is planned[1] it's at least 1 month away while ESR60
| will reach EOL in 2 months. By the time 2.57.0 arrives it'll
| also be vulnerable.
|
| [1]
|

And there are probably other reasons that make a stable
port difficult [2].

[1]
[2]
Similar Threads