experchange > powerpoint

zeniph (11-19-15, 07:36 AM)
Thank you - this is an excellent solution.

I had the same scenario with fonts previously embedded - this was the only way to get rid of them.
allisteruk (01-25-16, 01:12 PM)
Awesome fix, Adam. Many thanks :)
johnpend1 (04-04-16, 09:06 PM)
On Monday, October 19, 2009 at 9:49:18 AM UTC-7, Kamran wrote:
> Once again, Microsoft has managed to ramp up the frustration meter.......
> I'm trying to replace fonts, and I keep getting this message that I'm trying
> to replace a double-byte font with a single-byte font. But the genius of the
> whole system is: they don't tell you which ones are single and which ones
> are double. How do I know?


The FiddleDaFonts macro seemed to work for me on PowerPoint 2013 and Windows 7 - thank you very much!
wcprofessionalservices (03-26-17, 01:04 AM)
On Monday, October 19, 2009 at 12:49:18 PM UTC-4, Kamran wrote:
> Once again, Microsoft has managed to ramp up the frustration meter.......
> I'm trying to replace fonts, and I keep getting this message that I'm trying
> to replace a double-byte font with a single-byte font. But the genius of the
> whole system is: they don't tell you which ones are single and which ones
> are double. How do I know?


clicked on every piece of text in my 30 page slide presentation and it still doesn't work!
ellevsen (05-05-17, 03:08 PM)
Just wanted to say thanks to those who contributed to this thread, and helped me solve a font substitution and embedding problem.

In case it helps anyone else, I had Powerpoint telling me that a used font ("Lucida Grande") could not be embedded in my presentation.

Powerpoint wouldn't replace that font using the font replace option function. And I couldn't find anywhere in the deck that that font had been used, even when I exported it as an XML file or Word file and used the formattingand text searches in those programs.

I eventually solved the problem by deleting all the Slide Masters one by one until I deleted the Master where Lucida Grande had been (invisibly) used.

This font embedding and substitution issue - with its weird double vs single byte replacement restriction - has been around for ages. It boggles my mind that Microsoft still haven't fixed it, or at least made it easier for us to solve it.
semuah (01-20-18, 11:27 AM)
Soooo thank you. This is genius.
semuah (01-20-18, 11:28 AM)
On Saturday, January 20, 2018 at 4:27:04 AM UTC-5, sem...@gmail.com wrote:
gitstim (09-24-18, 02:34 AM)
On Thursday, July 23, 2015 at 3:30:03 PM UTC-4, adam....@gmail.com wrote:
> Not sure if this will help anyone but I encountered this issue with PPT where a font was embedded accidentally in the presentation but was not beingused. It basically made it so that anyone else who received the PPT would not be able to save it. Strange error. So logically I wanted to do a font replacement. However, it would not let me substitute a "double byte font" for a "single byte font".
> To fix this, I exported the presentation as an XML. Opened the XML in notepad, Did a Find & Replace on the offending font and replaced with Arial. Saved. Reopened in PPT and saved back to PPT format.
> Hope that saves someone hours of frustration in the future. Cheers.
> Adam
> On Monday, October 19, 2009 at 12:49:18 PM UTC-4, Kamran wrote:


Thanks Adam for the help. You saved me!
fong315 (06-12-19, 04:23 AM)
Great solution. Thanks Adam!!

On Friday, 24 July 2015 03:30:03 UTC+8, adam....@gmail.com wrote:
[..]
emily.lischke (02-28-20, 02:39 PM)
Am Donnerstag, 23. Juli 2015 21:30:03 UTC+2 schrieb adam....@gmail.com:
> Not sure if this will help anyone but I encountered this issue with PPT where a font was embedded accidentally in the presentation but was not beingused. It basically made it so that anyone else who received the PPT would not be able to save it. Strange error. So logically I wanted to do a font replacement. However, it would not let me substitute a "double byte font" for a "single byte font".
> To fix this, I exported the presentation as an XML. Opened the XML in notepad, Did a Find & Replace on the offending font and replaced with Arial. Saved. Reopened in PPT and saved back to PPT format.
> Hope that saves someone hours of frustration in the future. Cheers.
> Adam

Adam, you just saved me from a mental breakdown in the office, as this issue appeared out of the blue in our new company presentation we've been working on for weeks. THANK YOU!

Similar Threads