experchange > javascript

jeremy (01-07-20, 05:14 PM)
Hi, go easy on me, new to this group :)

I'm looking for a library that would enable me to develop a Visio-like UI
for defining workflows.

In essence I'd like to set up a library of a small number of "object
types" (forms, statuses, emails for example) and allow my user to drag and
drop from the library onto the page and easily connect e.g. a form to an
email).

If the above makes any sense to anyone, could you point me in the right
direction?

TIA
Leonardo Campos (01-07-20, 09:28 PM)
On Tuesday, January 7, 2020 at 12:14:11 PM UTC-3, jeremy wrote:
[..]
> TIA
> --
> jeremy


Take a look at this one:

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn (01-08-20, 02:22 AM)
jeremy wrote:
^^^^^^
Your real name belongs there.

> I'm looking for a library that would enable me to develop a Visio-like UI
> for defining workflows.
> In essence I'd like to set up a library of a small number of "object
> types" (forms, statuses, emails for example) and allow my user to drag and
> drop from the library onto the page and easily connect e.g. a form to an
> email).
> If the above makes any sense to anyone, could you point me in the right
> direction?


<https://www.google.com/>

[My answer would usually have been “Yes”, see
<http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html>]

> TIA


YW.
Arno Welzel (01-08-20, 09:25 AM)
jeremy:

> Hi, go easy on me, new to this group :)
> I'm looking for a library that would enable me to develop a Visio-like UI
> for defining workflows.
> In essence I'd like to set up a library of a small number of "object
> types" (forms, statuses, emails for example) and allow my user to drag and
> drop from the library onto the page and easily connect e.g. a form to an
> email).


<https://www.draw.io/>

They also provide the source for self hosting:

<https://github.com/jgraph/drawio>
jeremy (01-08-20, 12:30 PM)
In article <5561974.lOV4Wx5bFT>, PointedEars says...
> jeremy wrote:
> ^^^^^^
> Your real name belongs there.


Not entirely sure I understand your comment.

<snip>

> > If the above makes any sense to anyone, could you point me in the right
> > direction?

> <https://www.google.com/>


Thanks, I'll see what that's like.
jeremy (01-08-20, 12:38 PM)
In article <50af60d3-5636-4708-af70-2050995cd82d>,
leonardoscampos says...
> On Tuesday, January 7, 2020 at 12:14:11 PM UTC-3, jeremy wrote:
> Take a look at this one:
>


Thanks that has an extremely comprehensive set of features and useful
getting started examples - thanks.
jeremy (01-08-20, 12:41 PM)
In article <h7leefFn9mnU1>, usenet says...
> jeremy:
> <https://www.draw.io/>
> They also provide the source for self hosting:
> <https://github.com/jgraph/drawio>


Thanks Arno. Actually that is a tool we have already played with for
illustrating data models - I can see it has support for a wide range of
drawings.

Appreciate the link, thanks.
Julio Di Egidio (01-08-20, 05:05 PM)
On Wednesday, 8 January 2020 11:30:21 UTC+1, jeremy wrote:
> In article <5561974.lOV4Wx5bFT>, PointedEars says...
> Not entirely sure I understand your comment.
> <snip>
> Thanks, I'll see what that's like.


Thomas is a bit picky on netiquette, and not unreasonably so, Usenet is not a
forum, and the demise of Usenet is to begin with the demise of Usenet etiquette.
The first fact he mentions is that you are supposed to use a real name and email
address when you post here: people have to take responsibility for what they
post. The second fact is about how to ask sensible questions, and telling you
that you should learn how to use a search engine is quite correct: different
would have been if you had tried to look it up and then came here to ask about
specific doubts or difficulties. And the fact that other people would google
something up for you has that they are essentially violating etiquette, too,
not really helping you and not helping the group grow as a whole either.

That said, does it really matter? I suppose it's matter of opinion (I won't
belabour), but I won't deny I am another one who thinks RTFM or "look it up"
remain the most appropriate answers to at least half of the questions that get
posted: and not with malice, that is really lesson number one along that
learning curve.

So, I do not mean to bash you (or the others), etiquette too is something we
learn (and of course there is quite more to it than just mentioned above), but
now you have been warned... ;)

Have fun,

Julio
jeremy (01-08-20, 06:18 PM)
In article <c3a1d466-7a05-4b1f-b178-8a466de6441b>,
julio says...
> On Wednesday, 8 January 2020 11:30:21 UTC+1, jeremy wrote:
> Thomas is a bit picky on netiquette, and not unreasonably so, Usenet is not a
> forum, and the demise of Usenet is to begin with the demise of Usenet etiquette.
> The first fact he mentions is that you are supposed to use a real name and email
> address when you post here: people have to take responsibility for what they
> post.


Indeed - that is my name and my email address is valid.

> The second fact is about how to ask sensible questions, and telling you
> that you should learn how to use a search engine is quite correct: different
> would have been if you had tried to look it up and then came here to ask about
> specific doubts or difficulties. And the fact that other people would google
> something up for you has that they are essentially violating etiquette, too,
> not really helping you and not helping the group grow as a whole either.


I've been on usenet for a long time - perhaps I didn't articulate my
question as well as I should (and I actually really appreciate the fact
that usenet is a text-based medium and that folks should make the effort to
present their requests / solutions clearly).
> That said, does it really matter? I suppose it's matter of opinion (I won't
> belabour), but I won't deny I am another one who thinks RTFM or "look it up"
> remain the most appropriate answers to at least half of the questions that get
> posted: and not with malice, that is really lesson number one along that
> learning curve.


Banged to rights here - perhaps I was being a little lazy. Sometimes you
don't quite know what to look for until someone has given some clues as to
what you might find IYSWIM.

> So, I do not mean to bash you (or the others), etiquette too is something we
> learn (and of course there is quite more to it than just mentioned above), but
> now you have been warned... ;)
> Have fun,


I shall :)
Julio Di Egidio (01-08-20, 06:59 PM)
On Wednesday, 8 January 2020 17:18:29 UTC+1, jeremy wrote:
> In article <c3a1d466-7a05-4b1f-b178-8a466de6441b>,
> julio says...
> Indeed - that is my name and my email address is valid.


I meant full name: details apart, the point being that people must be able to
know what your real identity is. And, FYI and for what it's worth, your email
address does not show up at all in Google Groups (thanks again Google, BTW).

> I've been on usenet for a long time - perhaps I didn't articulate my
> question as well as I should (and I actually really appreciate the fact
> that usenet is a text-based medium and that folks should make the effort to
> present their requests / solutions clearly).


Have you? That's not reassuring... It was all quite clear. As well as the
suggestion to just look it up, and to also have a look at what a smart question
actually is (that part you have simply snipped).

> > That said, does it really matter? I suppose it's matter of opinion (I won't
> > belabour), but I won't deny I am another one who thinks RTFM or "look it up"
> > remain the most appropriate answers to at least half of the questions that get
> > posted: and not with malice, that is really lesson number one along that
> > learning curve.

> Banged to rights here


Invited to being collaborative, rather. You are not being much reasonable at
all. (Have fun, sure, but responsibly.)

> - perhaps I was being a little lazy. Sometimes you
> don't quite know what to look for until someone has given some clues as to
> what you might find IYSWIM.


Indeed, you were given clues, that another world is possible, as well as links
to products...

Enough said, I hope the clarifications were at least useful, if nothing else.

Take care, (EOD.)

Julio
John G Harris (01-08-20, 09:12 PM)
On Wed, 8 Jan 2020 07:05:43 -0800 (PST), Julio Di Egidio
<julio> wrote:

<snip>
>Thomas is a bit picky on netiquette, and not unreasonably so, Usenet is not a
>forum, and the demise of Usenet is to begin with the demise of Usenet etiquette.
>The first fact he mentions is that you are supposed to use a real name and email
>address when you post here: people have to take responsibility for what they
>post. <snip>


So you would never use Student's t-test for quality control because
Student wasn't his name.

So you would like to destroy all books by Mark Twain because Mark
Twain was not his name.

You are being silly. It's the content that counts, not the authority
of the person perporting to be the author. In particular, we neither
know nor care if Julio Di Egidio is the name you are known to your
family, friends, employer, etc. We read the words.

John
Julio Di Egidio (01-08-20, 09:39 PM)
On Wednesday, 8 January 2020 20:13:01 UTC+1, John G Harris wrote:
> On Wed, 8 Jan 2020 07:05:43 -0800 (PST), Julio Di Egidio
> <julio> wrote:
> <snip>
> <snip>
> So you would never use Student's t-test for quality control because
> Student wasn't his name.
> So you would like to destroy all books by Mark Twain because Mark
> Twain was not his name.
> You are being silly.


I am taking about Usenet, you are being silly.

> It's the content that counts, not the authority


But I said why, on Usenet, it is expected. Do anonymous posting where it is
appropriate, not here.

Does that help? I guess not, not anymore...

*Plonk*

Julio
John G Harris (01-09-20, 01:03 PM)
On Wed, 8 Jan 2020 11:39:25 -0800 (PST), Julio Di Egidio
<julio> wrote:

>On Wednesday, 8 January 2020 20:13:01 UTC+1, John G Harris wrote:
>I am taking about Usenet, you are being silly.
>But I said why, on Usenet, it is expected. Do anonymous posting where it is
>appropriate, not here. <snip>


Who said anything about "anonymous" posting? I certainly didn't.
Please pay attention in future.

John
jeremy (01-09-20, 01:18 PM)
In article <c22e1ftbrl52qmbsrg2jpbjrf079ln5du0>,
niam says...
> >But I said why, on Usenet, it is expected. Do anonymous posting where it is
> >appropriate, not here.

> <snip>
> Who said anything about "anonymous" posting? I certainly didn't.
> Please pay attention in future.

In my experience, real names are not "expected" on usenet - certainly i've
never been pulled up for it in any other groups - so perhaps it's a
preference on this one. I would't want to change my posting identity for
different newsgroups - bit of a faff.

However I do appreciate that each ng might have its own standards and
expecations of poster behaviour.
Julio Di Egidio (01-09-20, 01:59 PM)
On Thursday, 9 January 2020 12:18:52 UTC+1, jeremy wrote:
> In article <c22e1ftbrl52qmbsrg2jpbjrf079ln5du0>,
> niam says...


Still messing up with quotes and attributions?

> In my experience, real names are not "expected" on usenet - certainly i've
> never been pulled up for it in any other groups


I was talking Usenet etiquette, which is a fact, and you simply keep making
stuff up.

Either your "long experience on Usenet" is max 5 years and you have in fact
no clue what you are talking about, or you and your alter-ego there just did
a plain spamming stunt and now you just keep adding bullshit to offence.

> However I do appreciate that each ng might have its own standards and
> expecations of poster behaviour.


This ain't alt.pics, that's for sure...

*Plonk*

Julio

Similar Threads