experchange > mandrake

William Unruh (05-15-18, 06:24 PM)
I ahve about 3 computers on which I have keepassx to store my passwords. I may
update a password in one of them, but then the others are out of sync. Is
there any way I can sync the various keepassx databases so that they all
contain the latest passwords for any entry (and the latest entries if I have
added a new one on one of my machines.) I not that keepassx has the
modification time of an entry.
Dan Purgert (05-15-18, 07:00 PM)
William Unruh wrote:
> I ahve about 3 computers on which I have keepassx to store my
> passwords. I may update a password in one of them, but then the others
> are out of sync. Is there any way I can sync the various keepassx
> databases so that they all contain the latest passwords for any entry
> (and the latest entries if I have added a new one on one of my
> machines.) I not that keepassx has the modification time of an entry.


Put the database file in a shared location, perhaps?
Mike Easter (05-15-18, 07:01 PM)
William Unruh wrote:
> I ahve about 3 computers on which I have keepassx to store my passwords. I may
> update a password in one of them, but then the others are out of sync. Is
> there any way I can sync the various keepassx databases so that they all
> contain the latest passwords for any entry (and the latest entries if I have
> added a new one on one of my machines.) I not that keepassx has the
> modification time of an entry.


I didn't read the article/page yet, just a quick scan/glance; but this
looks like it might be helpful.

KeePass 2.x features a powerful,
built-in synchronization mechanism. Changes made in multiple copies of a
database file can be merged safely. ... The synchronization algorithm is
rather complex and it would take many pages to describe in detail how
it's working.
William Unruh (05-15-18, 07:15 PM)
On 2018-05-15, Mike Easter <MikeE> wrote:
> William Unruh wrote:
> I didn't read the article/page yet, just a quick scan/glance; but this
> looks like it might be helpful.
> KeePass 2.x features a powerful,
> built-in synchronization mechanism. Changes made in multiple copies of a
> database file can be merged safely. ... The synchronization algorithm is
> rather complex and it would take many pages to describe in detail how
> it's working.


Unfortunately I think keepassx and keepass are two different programs.
Mike Easter (05-15-18, 07:58 PM)
William Unruh wrote:
> Mike Easter wrote:


At first read, I didn't appreciate the keepass*X* distinction, but...

>> KeePass 2.x features a powerful,
>> built-in synchronization mechanism.

> Unfortunately I think keepassx and keepass are two different programs. Here's what the wonderful Arch doc dudes have to say:


KeePassX — Started as a
Linux port of KeePass. keepassx2 uses the KeePass 2.x format, but can
import 1.x databases.

So, those words (precisely) must mean that altho' the keepass2 format is
supported, maybe sync won't work. Or maybe the words mean something
else....
Mike Easter (05-15-18, 08:09 PM)
Mike Easter wrote:
> William Unruh wrote:
>> Mike Easter wrote:


> Here's what the wonderful Arch doc dudes have to say:
> KeePassX — Started as a
> Linux port of KeePass. keepassx2 uses the KeePass 2.x format, but can
> import 1.x databases.
> So, those words (precisely) must mean that altho' the keepass2 format is
> supported, maybe sync won't work.  Or maybe the words mean something
> else....

I'm reading the words again; if the keepass2 format is supported then
maybe one would expect the sync to work, since it is the db that is
getting sync/ed....

.... or ...

.... maybe the sync /won't/ work; because the 'power' of the sync/ing is
a feature of the *program*/code, not the 'condition'/status of the db.

Aha.


Securely synchronize your KeepassX Passwords

(Examples dropbox and local storage)
William Unruh (05-15-18, 10:43 PM)
On 2018-05-15, Mike Easter <MikeE> wrote:
> William Unruh wrote:
> At first read, I didn't appreciate the keepass*X* distinction, but...
> Here's what the wonderful Arch doc dudes have to say:
> KeePassX — Started as a
> Linux port of KeePass. keepassx2 uses the KeePass 2.x format, but can
> import 1.x databases.
> So, those words (precisely) must mean that altho' the keepass2 format is
> supported, maybe sync won't work. Or maybe the words mean something
> else....


I suppose it means that one could use keePass to sync the two databases, and
then use the result in keepassx2.

But that would be a real and dangerous pain.
William Unruh (05-15-18, 10:45 PM)
On 2018-05-15, Mike Easter <MikeE> wrote:
[..]
>
> Securely synchronize your KeepassX Passwords
> (Examples dropbox and local storage)


I read that. I think it means that you have a single database on some one
location and then have your keepassx on the various computers use that one
database. Since there is onlyone, it is easy to sync.
Since when I am in Ulan Bator, the chances of my being able to use a database
in Vancouver are pretty slim this is not a great option.
stepore (05-16-18, 06:45 AM)
On 05/15/2018 01:45 PM, William Unruh wrote:
> I read that. I think it means that you have a single database on some one
> location and then have your keepassx on the various computers use that one
> database. Since there is onlyone, it is easy to sync.
> Since when I am in Ulan Bator, the chances of my being able to use a database
> in Vancouver are pretty slim this is not a great option.


Why? It's pretty much how _cloud_ services work. Use one of your boxes
as your personal cloud.

With a free dynamic DNS service, Set up OpenVPN or SSHFS to get to your
database and you're gold from anywhere in the world.
Carlos E.R. (05-16-18, 01:14 PM)
On 2018-05-16 06:45, stepore wrote:
> On 05/15/2018 01:45 PM, William Unruh wrote:
> Why? It's pretty much how _cloud_ services work. Use one of your boxes
> as your personal cloud.


For which you need the password(s) that are stored in...

> With a free dynamic DNS service, Set up OpenVPN or SSHFS to get to your
> database and you're gold from anywhere in the world.


Sure, you can use that when abroad on the move.
stepore (05-17-18, 06:57 AM)
On 05/16/2018 04:14 AM, Carlos E.R. wrote:

>> Why? It's pretty much how _cloud_ services work. Use one of your boxes
>> as your personal cloud.

> For which you need the password(s) that are stored in...


Not sure I understand the point you're trying to make?

>> With a free dynamic DNS service, Set up OpenVPN or SSHFS to get to your
>> database and you're gold from anywhere in the world.

> Sure, you can use that when abroad on the move.


Right. So...
Carlos E.R. (05-17-18, 02:41 PM)
On 2018-05-17 06:57, stepore wrote:
> On 05/16/2018 04:14 AM, Carlos E.R. wrote:
>>> Why? It's pretty much how _cloud_ services work. Use one of your boxes
>>> as your personal cloud.

>> For which you need the password(s) that are stored in...

> Not sure I understand the point you're trying to make?


That the password to the cloud services etc are stored in the keepassx
database. So, no access.

>>> With a free dynamic DNS service, Set up OpenVPN or SSHFS to get to your
>>> database and you're gold from anywhere in the world.

>> Sure, you can use that when abroad on the move.

> Right. So...


That was an irony. No, I can't access internet when on the move,
depending on the country.
stepore (05-18-18, 02:50 AM)
On 05/17/2018 05:41 AM, Carlos E.R. wrote:
> That the password to the cloud services etc are stored in the keepassx
> database. So, no access.


I'm still not getting your point. Maybe literally spell it out for me.
Are you saying you won't be able to get into keepass which then stores
your cloud passwords so you're hosed? I don't know what you mean.

> That was an irony. No, I can't access internet when on the move,
> depending on the country.


But then you couldn't get them either if you used a cloud-based service?

Maybe I think you were trashing my little hacky way to set this up as
your own "cloud" service rather than using an actual cloud service when
you really were agreeing with me? I'm confused, but it seems as though
you're putting down the idea of your own "cloud" solution.

Either way, it works for me.
Dan Purgert (05-18-18, 03:17 AM)
stepore wrote:
> On 05/17/2018 05:41 AM, Carlos E.R. wrote:
>> That the password to the cloud services etc are stored in the keepassx
>> database. So, no access.

> I'm still not getting your point. Maybe literally spell it out for me.
> Are you saying you won't be able to get into keepass which then stores
> your cloud passwords so you're hosed? I don't know what you mean.


I believe his point is "how can I connect to a cloud service to sync my
password database when the password to connect to said service is in the
database itself?"

Yes, he is completely ignoring the point that the database would likely
be contained on the host itself (e.g. in the "sync" folder).
William Unruh (05-18-18, 05:04 AM)
On 2018-05-18, stepore <linshine> wrote:
> On 05/17/2018 05:41 AM, Carlos E.R. wrote:
>> That the password to the cloud services etc are stored in the keepassx
>> database. So, no access.

> I'm still not getting your point. Maybe literally spell it out for me.
> Are you saying you won't be able to get into keepass which then stores
> your cloud passwords so you're hosed? I don't know what you mean.


His assumpiton is that you meant a cloud server somewhere for example in the
USA. You have to log on to use the cloud server. But the password you need on
the keepassx located on the cloud. Ie, you cannot get the password you need to
use the could to store your passwords.
> But then you couldn't get them either if you used a cloud-based service?
> Maybe I think you were trashing my little hacky way to set this up as
> your own "cloud" service rather than using an actual cloud service when
> you really were agreeing with me? I'm confused, but it seems as though
> you're putting down the idea of your oown "cloud" solution.


Not sure what Your own cloud solution means.