experchange > c

Usenet Advocate #1337 (03-04-20, 05:38 AM)
What is the best C compiler in your opinion right now?
Linux, *BSD, or windows...
Melzzzzz (03-04-20, 06:36 AM)
On 2020-03-04, Usenet Advocate #1337 <test> wrote:
> What is the best C compiler in your opinion right now?
> Linux, *BSD, or windows...


gcc/clang, both are better then alternatives.
Autist (03-04-20, 08:16 AM)
Am 04.03.2020 um 04:38 schrieb Usenet Advocate #1337:
> What is the best C compiler in your opinion right now?
> Linux, *BSD, or windows...


Aztec C !!!!!!!!!!!
already5chosen (03-04-20, 11:05 AM)
On Wednesday, March 4, 2020 at 5:38:36 AM UTC+2, Usenet Advocate #1337 wrote:
> What is the best C compiler in your opinion right now?
> Linux, *BSD, or windows...


I suppose, you are asking about "native" compilers rather than "cross".
Best by which criterion?

Quality of diagnostics?
Usable debuggers?
Availability/integration of additional tools (static code analysis, memory leak detection, profilers)?
Frictionless installation of the dev tools?
Frictionless installation of the of the resulting binary away from dev environment?
Integration with IDEs/quality of IDE?
Speed of compilation?
Speed of the resulting binary?
Size of the resulting binary?
Jorgen Grahn (03-04-20, 01:04 PM)
On Wed, 2020-03-04, Usenet Advocate #1337 wrote:
> What is the best C compiler in your opinion right now?
> Linux, *BSD, or windows...


Why do you want to know?

/Jorgen
Real Troll (03-04-20, 01:25 PM)
On 04/03/2020 11:04, Jorgen Grahn wrote:
> On Wed, 2020-03-04, Usenet Advocate #1337 wrote:
>> What is the best C compiler in your opinion right now?
>> Linux, *BSD, or windows...

> Why do you want to know?


He wants to know "the best C compiler" but he won't tell you his
criteria to judge the best one!!!
Jorgen Grahn (03-04-20, 01:35 PM)
On Wed, 2020-03-04, Real Troll wrote:
> On 04/03/2020 11:04, Jorgen Grahn wrote:
>> On Wed, 2020-03-04, Usenet Advocate #1337 wrote:
>>> What is the best C compiler in your opinion right now?
>>> Linux, *BSD, or windows...


>> Why do you want to know?

> He wants to know "the best C compiler" but he won't tell you his
> criteria to judge the best one!!!


Most people aren't good at asking questions, and need to be prodded.

That said, I suspect "Usenet Advocate #1337" is just trolling.

/Jorgen
Kenny McCormack (03-04-20, 03:07 PM)
In article <slrnr5v2qg.km3.grahn+nntp>,
Jorgen Grahn <grahn+nntp> wrote:
>On Wed, 2020-03-04, Usenet Advocate #1337 wrote:
>> What is the best C compiler in your opinion right now?
>> Linux, *BSD, or windows...

>Why do you want to know?


Why do you want to know why he wants to know?
Kenny McCormack (03-04-20, 03:10 PM)
In article <r3o33s$1d4a$1>,
Real Troll <Real.Troll> wrote:
>On 04/03/2020 11:04, Jorgen Grahn wrote:
>He wants to know "the best C compiler" but he won't tell you his
>criteria to judge the best one!!!


What a silly thing to say!

If I asked *you* what your favorite color was, in what possible way would
*my* preferences have any bearing on the matter?
chad (03-04-20, 04:12 PM)
On Wednesday, March 4, 2020 at 5:10:56 AM UTC-8, Kenny McCormack wrote:
> In article <r3o33sd4a>,
> Real Troll <Real.Troll> wrote:
> What a silly thing to say!
> If I asked *you* what your favorite color was, in what possible way would
> *my* preferences have any bearing on the matter?


Well, if you are a guy, and you tell me that your favorite color is pink, then we could assume that you either prefer other guys or that you prefer to be viewed as a woman who...I'm just saying...
fir (03-04-20, 04:26 PM)
W dniu sroda, 4 marca 2020 04:38:36 UTC+1 uzytkownik Usenet Advocate #1337 napisal:
> What is the best C compiler in your opinion right now?
> Linux, *BSD, or windows...


im quite happy with gcc version for windows
(mingw) except the oficial instalation pages
Bonita Montero (03-04-20, 07:08 PM)
> im quite happy with gcc version for windows
> (mingw) except the oficial instalation pages


Which IDE ?
chad (03-04-20, 07:26 PM)
On Wednesday, March 4, 2020 at 9:08:23 AM UTC-8, Bonita Montero wrote:
> > im quite happy with gcc version for windows
> > (mingw) except the oficial instalation pages

> Which IDE ?


It's been a while since I've used migw, but if I recall correctly, it's not an IDE. However, I could be wrong.
Bonita Montero (03-04-20, 07:31 PM)
>> Which IDE ?

> It's been a while since I've used migw, but if I recall correctly, it's not an IDE. However, I could be wrong.


Of cours it's not an ide.
But I'm asking which IDE he uses on top of mingw.
Malcolm McLean (03-04-20, 08:00 PM)
On Wednesday, 4 March 2020 11:23:50 UTC, Real Troll wrote:
> On 04/03/2020 11:04, Jorgen Grahn wrote:
> He wants to know "the best C compiler" but he won't tell you his
> criteria to judge the best one!!! If you only know a little bit about programming, you probably know that there are many C compilers available. However you don't necessarily know whichfeatures are valued by professionals. Obviously code efficiency will be a consideration, but assuming that the compiler is reasonably efficient, how much weight should you give to that? Ease of installation, the richness of the option set, the quality of warnings, compilation speed - again all plausible things to consider, but not necessarily too important.


So a sensible response would state what the responder values in a compiler,and which compiler on the market best fulfils those requirements.

Similar Threads